Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sleepsack for Andrea

Greta told me that the only sleepsack Andrea has is the one that Rakel sent her. She said that Andrea used it all the time.  Well, one sleepsack doesn't seem enough so I set out to test my new sewing machine.  The material was purchased from Jo-Ann's, chosen because it was amazingly soft.  I washed the material after I zigzagged all around it.  Afterwards working on it, it was hard to work with.  My clothes were full of lint and a layer on the floor.  After cutting the pattern and zigzagging the seams it improved some.  It is so fluffy that it was giving my machine fits.  I'd take a little brush and keep cleaning it.  Then the half-finished project sat and cured.  Weather got colder and once again, I was back to it.  This time, I found it more tolerable to work with.
The bias tape, after I sewed it on was not quite to my liking so I stitch little curly things half on the bias and half on the material to secure it.  It's a size nine months and it's huge.  Also, the two front pieces don't line up and getting a nice straight seam when I put in a zipper was impossible for me. 

But, after I finished it, even though I wasn't 100% satisfied with all aspects, I was charmed by it.  Told Tim that I was putting it through a cycle on the washer and dryer and if it started shedding or any other thing, it would end up in the garbage.  It held up beautifully.

No comments: