Sunday, May 15, 2011

simple t-shirt baby hat

This is a great way to use old t-shirts! Even those in imperfect condition are likely to work. The original directions had the seams on the inside, but I kept them out for baby's comfort. And it also called for cutting the decoration out with pinking shears, which I don't have so I had to sew up my edges. I used a bit of cross stitch from a hand embroidered napkin I bought for 1 euro at a flea market. It has about 6 of these flowers on it, so I'll get my money's worth! For Edie, who is now 15 months, I enlarged the pattern. The original pattern seems to fit 6-12 mo, approximately. The result was a cute, very comfortable, Spring/Summer weight hat that Edie kept on quite well - and that took literally 5 minutes to make. It was hard to get a good pic of her in it because I needed sun light for the shot but she doesn't like her baby eyes in such brightness!

I just cleaned out the ol' closet, and I'll be making many more of these as gifts.




Original pattern here: http://happinesscomesinlittlebits.blogspot.com/2011/03/sewing-bee-simple-baby-hat-sewing.html

1 comment:

Edith Andersen said...

Rakel, this is an adorable design. Your decision to put the seams out is good. I looked high and low for something like this for Andrea. Carter didn't have the white ones they used to have. If they only take a few minutes and cost you little or nothing, make 50 of them and I'll put them in a baby booth at the elf shelf. If we sell them for let's say $6 and give the booth lady $1 then you still have $250. Of course, you can also just enjoy making them and use them for gifts. It's the comfort aspect that appeals to me so much.