Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fun with Felting


Felting is something I'd never tried. It is really popular here - both plain old felt (German felt is GORGEOUS!) and knitted felt. I've used some felt to make baby toys, but I'd never felted a knit piece until this one. I bought 7 skeins of felting yarn at a flea market, so I had a cheap way to experiment. My first one was this felted doggy dumbbell. It turned out great, though a little lopsided. I stuffed it with stuffing from ripped up toys, including a squeaker from one. The dogs love it and it is so sturdy - and it will get sturdier every time I wash it!

The pattern is here: http://taras-knits.blogspot.com/2008/02/puppys-dumbell-toy.html

2 comments:

Edith Andersen said...

The bone turned out well. Cindy Woomer is big on felting and has done purses, etc. I can see it's value in toys if it gets tougher each time you wash it.

Edith Andersen said...

It was a loving act to put some of the noisy toy part in it. Billy loves his toys--or did--and now I am having trouble remembering if Sugar does. I just remember her as needy and snuggly.