Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Activity / Travel Blanket for Infant

This blanket is a gift for a baby shower.  It is meant to be a small blanket with ribbon tabs and velcro loops to attach different toys to that a parent can use either in a stroller or car seat for baby to play with, or as a clean surface to let baby stretch out on when you are out of your house.  I would have gotten a lot of use out of this with Edie! I am planning to make more.

I have been planning this for ages.  It is not that hard to make at all.  And I am happy with how it turned out.  I used flannel on the back, so that is very soft.  I simplified the pattern I found a little, only adding one pocket and not adding velcro to the pocket (though things could fall out if you used it in the car or stroller, I thought velcro on the pocket would be annoying overall).  Also, I didn't have any of the fancy loops of self-stick velcro mentioned in the pattern.  What I did have was little squares of velcro, so I cut pieces of ribbon, sewed under the edges, and then sewed velcro to the ends and this accomplished the loops for changing up the toys you attach.  It would've been faster with the other stuff, but this turned out fine.

Here is the pattern / inspiration:  http://www.merrimentdesign.com/kids-travel-toy-blanket-with-velcro-loops-and-ribbon-tags.php


2 comments:

rakel said...

To round out the gift, I bought three little handheld infant toys and a book meant for infants, all of which can fit on the blanket.

Edith Andersen said...

That turned out really cute. What a good idea.